Subject: [Leica] IMG: so how does the CFV 39 work with my aging CM & T* glass
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 23:59:51 -0500

Since the release of the Hasselblad CFV 39 back I've wondered how it
would feel and function.
Friday Steve Goldsmith from Calumet kindly drove 2/3rds of the way
north.
We met in Racine and put the back on my old CM and made a few shots
with each of my lenses:
40 mm, 80 mm and 150 mm.

A very interesting experience from start right through to post
processing.
Drop in the supplied ground glass with crop indication.
Attach the CFV back as simple as a film back.
No cords or electronic connections. Very cool.
Buttons and menus are clear and quick.
The view screen had plastic on it and
images looked horrible (hopefully better without the plastic).
Viewing angle is extremely critical on this view screen.
Shooting is exactly like using a film back;
including cranking after each frame - which really felt wonderfully
nostalgic.
Pre-release of mirror and shutter release all works fine.

Back at the computer:
The large 45 MB RAW files take forever to load into Lightroom;
when compared to DMR, 5D and M8 files.
The files look quite impressive at ISO 100.
At ISO 400 a fine grain "noise" begins to emerge in shadows;
however with a very tight film look.
Exporting from these large files also takes a lot more time.
In other words big sensors need big computers and hard drives.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com