Subject: [Leica] Identifying Leica screw mount cameras
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:38:45 -0400

 I asked this question before but I never got a definitive answer. Leica
cameras within a model series are identified by the serial number engraved
on the top plate. I have plenty of tables which show serial numbers by year.
But are there any markers or engravings inside a Leica screw mount camera
which will tell precisely the model and the date of manufacture? The reason
- I often delve into the debris of photo store junk boxes to see what hidden
jewels I can find. Once in a while I come across a non functional old Leica,
often dented, marred, or otherwise damaged. I even found one that had a
bullet hole through it (no questions asked). I've managed to assemble a few
working cameras from this random collection of parts. My favorite, user
camera, a Leica IIIc, is a hybrid assembled from four junkers, the top plate
from one, the body casing from another, the works from a third, and the base
plate from the fourth. I don't remember which camera the knobs came from.
The serial nu
 mber on the top plate 415xxx indicates that it was made in '46/47 but I'm
sure that some of the parts are newer and some older. In any event, I know
that some cameras in the '46/47 period were assembled by Leica itself out of
spare parts. So if I sold this camera, is there any way that someone could
tell, other than looking at the top plate serial number when it was made.
Conversely, if an unscrupulous individual replaced the top plate with one
from a rarer camera, say a Luftwaffe model or a Kreigs Marine model, could
it be detected as a fraud. No evil intentions, just asking.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Identifying Leica screw mount cameras)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Identifying Leica screw mount cameras)