Subject: [Leica] Arles Provence
From: socphoto at verizon.net (Carl Socolow)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:47:49 -0400

Wendy,

Are you working in a raw workflow? You might be able to adjust in raw
for the sky and then open in photoshop and then do a second raw
adjustment (sometimes even a third) for midtones, etc. and open it as
well in photoshop. Then merge both layers one on top of the other while
holding the shift key to ensure accurate registration. Finally, you can
do a mask on the sky layer and conceal all but the adjusted sky. It's
sort of HDR but pulling both exposures out of the same raw file. It
works to an extent. I can get away with about two stops of sky
overexposure. There are a couple other tricks such as loading selection
using the channels palette to have photoshop isolate the sky. If so you
might have to use some gaussian blur on the mask to soften the hard
edges of the mask itself so it blends better. This is probably more than
anyone wants to know but it's a technique I've used often when doing
architectural photography and I want to hold details in windows or skies.

Finally, regarding Les Baux, don't be afraid to shoot in the dark.
Practice hand holding camera at 1/15th, 1/8th or 1/4 second. Practice
your breathing. Not everything has to be tack sharp or without camera
movement. Those are just conventions for people whose aesthetic
subscribes to reality. Silhouetted figures walking at night don't have
to be sharp.

See:
http://www.carlsandersocolow.com/images/portfolios/europe/europe-full/Odeon_1002_R14_31.jpg
or
http://www.carlsandersocolow.com/images/portfolios/europe/europe-full/Venice_0399_1.jpg
or
http://www.carlsandersocolow.com/images/portfolios/europe/europe-full/Venice_0399_27_2.jpg

You're in the heart of the world inhabited by the Impressionists. Use
the force, young Skywalker. See and feel what they felt. There's a
reason they went there: for  the light, the atmosphere; even the
Mistral. Figure out how to make pictures of wind.

I've been to Les Baux. Check out where they threw the Protestant
Huguenots off the cliffs at Cardinal Richelieu's behest.

Anyway, enjoy. I'm envious.

Carl Sander Socolow