Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Blue Angels over the Bay
From: oliverbryk at comcast.net (Oliver Bryk)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:36:27 -0700

I posted some pictures of a flight demonstration over San Francisco Bay by
the US Navy's "Blue Angels" on 10/09/09 at

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OBRYK/Blue_Angels/    .

All images were made with the Leica M8 and the 90mm Elmarit at f/11. I had
never used ISO 640 before but selected it for this shoot because I
anticipated a need for shutter speeds of at least 1/1000 sec for the low
level flights over the water by the F/A-18s. In retrospect I should have
used ISO 320 and f/8 in order to avoid the noise of the ISO 640 that becomes
noticeable even at modest enlargements.

I also experimented with the M8's "C" shutter setting that I had never used
before; the album includes several sequences made in this mode. I was
pleasantly surprised that I had not completely forgotten how to pan although
tracking an F/A-18 at low altitude in the small 90mm viewfinder frame was a
bit of a challenge. I did not crop these images.

Oliver

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] IMGs: Blue Angels over the Bay)
Reply from wbabbott3 at comcast.net (William B. Abbott III) ([Leica] IMGs: Blue Angels over the Bay)