Subject: [Leica] Leica] OT: A pox on all virus and malware writers
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:58:14 -0400

I was going to stay away from this but what the heck... :)

Firstly, Mac OS X is Unix-based so has a better basic security model
than Windows because Unix has a better security model than Windows.
Windows is terrible because it is derived from DOS which had no
security model to speak of. Multics from which descended Unix, had
even better security model. But the more secure your computer, the
more inconvenient it will be to use.

Secondly, Mac users, including me, should not be complacent just
because no malware is currently active as someone else said. The more
popular the Mac becomes, the bigger the target. Do I run a virus
scanner? No because I've turned on the builtin firewall, blocked most
connections and disable the most popular attack vectors which is via
the browser and email. I did ran one of the free virus detector for a
year or 2 but it never found anything.

I've looked at the NSA guide to securing Mac OS X. Haven't done
everything that is in the document because some of it would make my
Mac inconvenient to use. I've also looked at the NSA-released security
extension to Linux (SELinux). Implementing all of that would make
software updates a pain.

So for me, it is a tradeoff between usability vs security. Balancing
the 2 is never easy.

For Windows users, never, Never, NEVER, plug your PC directly into a
broadband connection even if you have a software firewall. Did I
mention never? :) Always use a properly configured dedicated hardware
router/firewall between you and your broadband connection if at all
possible. Even 10 years ago, a naked Windows PC plugged directly into
a broadband connection lasted  about 30 seconds before it got
contaminated. The situation has not gotten any better.

IMHO of course. :)

Regards,
Spencer

Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Leica] OT: A pox on all virus and malware writers)