Subject: [Leica] M9 review...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:03:04 -0400

> ... by the always entertaining but controversial Ken Rockwell! Wait, I
> meant Erwin Puts.
>
> Anyway, in Part V (count them, FIVE) of his M9 reviews, something
> about dynamic range, something something that D3x > M8.2 > M9. Yes,
> M8.2 is better than the M9 when it comes to dynamic range.
>
> So he said, I can't really tell, because there are like, lots of
> charts, and fuzzy pictures of some black & white patterns.

Richard! You just put Erwin Puts.
And Ken Rockwell in the same sentence.
An in depth review from Erwin Puts, a recognized and published optical and
Leica expert and former old guard member of the old Lug is a very welcome
event I'm not getting the sarcasm; he has many friends here going back a
decade. This review will be "cited for a long time to come" (some other
list) . I plan on printing out all nine and carrying them with for the rest
of 2009 till I turn 59 (in January, not the 9th) reading them repeatedly
with a yellow highlighter on the subways and busses causing me no doubt to
miss my stops and having to walk back a few blocks or more.
I have Erwin 's intensive Leica lens book and eagerly await the PDF update.
A major photographic event in itself.
A better book changing my mode of thinking about optics I've never read.
Rockwell  is strictly an  internet maven of a technical bent capable of
putting things in an interesting perspective from time to time being
occasionally very incisive his knowledge of Leica this week  was surprising
and seems to not come from overnight but he can almost as often leave us
bewildered.  Or worse. And is basically a Nikon guy. With Canon
inclinations. Maybe he'll sell all his seemingly hundreds of Nikons (and
Canons) and go M9 but the smart money is not in that particular direction.
Erwin sharing those Canon diversions by the way. For Canon.
I'm guessing with the advent of the M9  Canons Erwin's may gather dust.
Though an economic treatise might need to be written as to the accumulation
of 7 grand = Belgium and Euros.
And after that I'd like a copy on how to do it in American USD.

There may be just as much magic in getting one as using one.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] M9 review...)
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] M9 review...)