Subject: [Leica] Old lenses and M8
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:36:43 -0400

> At 3:57 PM -0400 10/17/09, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>>>  Do I sense a ground swell of feeling that the M*s should be cherished
>>>  because they make old lenses perform better by eliminating the poorer
>>>  rendition in the corners? Seems like the inverse of the opinion that
>>>  film M Leicas were to be desired over the M8 because Leica lenses were
>>>  designed for the corners rather than the central area. I'm confused. I
>>>  have a lot of old Leica lenses. Do I buy a used M8 or save my pennies
>>>  for an M9?
>>>  Larry Z
>>>

>> Nobody cares about the corners. Get an M9. You're going to see M8's
>> selling
>> for very little money after a year or less. There is a reason. They are
>> not
>> made any more. There is a reason.
>>
>> Mark William Rabiner
>>

> But they work well and take great pictures, and they cost a whole lot
> less, and will depreciate a lot less.
>
>     ...and they take great pictures.
>
>     ...as does the M9, for more money.

Despite costing 7 grand instead of half that in a  year we're going to see
all kinds of top people working with the M9 ten times more then we ever saw
with an M8.
Mark My Words!

The M8 is devaluing Markedly every day  as we speak.
It was a first out. A noble experiment.
It kept the price of Leica glass up. Stopped a lot of Leica glass from
developing mold. And many just fine shots were made with them.
Dump it as soon as you can is the obvious smart advice. Turn it over.
The M9 will be around for a decade. And remain viable for two.
Perhaps remaining viable for the period of time previous M's have.
Many decades.

Possibly wait a year for the lower rez higher ISO version. It may even cost
less.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] Old lenses and M8)