Subject: [Leica] Fender Bender
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:18:25 +0100

Hi Mark,
there are a large number of "plastics".
There are thermosets (which polymerise with heat then don't melt, like
phenolics (bakelite) and epoxy.
There are thermoplastics which melt and re-set as they cool so they
can be moulded.
All plastics are very expensive (by weight compared to most metals) so
cheap fillers are often used to bulk out the items, such as wood
powder in bakelite. When used for reinforcing strong and/or stiff -
fibres- are added to the plastic material (not powder). AFAIK carbon
powder is not used for anything other than protecting rubber from
sunlight in tyres and so-forth.
Carbon reinforced composites fill a huge range of engineering quality/
cost.
At the low end carbon reinforced thermoplastics which can be injection
moulded are available. They use very short fibres, just a couple of mm
long, and in fairly small quantities, but the mechanical properties
are much enhanced. These are the most common to come across.
At the high end long fibres reinforcing thermosets, commonly epoxy, in
high percentage, in the finished component the carbon fibre will be
 >60%. The materials are -much- more expensive and only simple shapes
such as panels and tubes can be made at mass market acceptable prices.
Complex shapes can have outstanding mechanical qualities but the
manufacturing methods are very labour, skill, and time  intensive (I
studied a car made this way for a client 7 or 8 years ago and the
piece part cost was about 50x more than a BMW 5 series FWIW).
A composite Leica would be stiff, strong, light, have no accuracy
shifts with temperature and at least 5x more expensive :-)
Fishing rods are pretty high tech., maybe golf club shafts too, but I
am still too young for golf...
The rest of the commonly seen carbon reinforced products are
relatively low tech, but very good nevertheless. As I have said before
I would prefer a carbon reinforced plastic camera shell to a magnesium
one in terms of fitness-for-purpose, but image and marketing put paid
to that.
cheers,
Frank