Subject: [Leica] iso 100.000+??
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 23:38:23 -0400

To say nothing of depth of field.  All other things being equal, with
a normal-length lens, in poor light, I'd rather shoot at:

f/2.8 and 1/50 at 4000 ISO

-than-

f/1.4 and 1/30 at 640 ISO.

The other night, I did a photo shoot for a sports industry magazine,
with relatively static subjects, in poor light.  I did it with an M8
and a 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH.  At the end of it, I would have traded
that setup (perhaps permanently) for a D3 and even an f/2.8 lens.  In
low light (no flash possible), shooting even those relatively still
subjects, a "fantastic fast" lens was an ordeal.  I ended up ditching
most of the files because at screen size, they had very little that
was in focus.  It wasn't missing the focus on the intended subject.

The problem with fast lenses is that the depth of field is microscopic
wide-open (and with a camera with underdeveloped ISO capability and no
VR, you do have to shoot wide-open).   Unless you like the razor-thin-
focus aesthetic (or it can be adapted for your subject), it just
doesn't work.  Note to many amateur Noctilux/Summilux 75 owners: you
might think it works for your picture, but it doesn't.

In the end, who cares about how sharp a Leica lens is if it's only
sharp in some tiny part of the picture?  And I don't think average
viewers see that sharp part or care that in that 2mm circle on the
frame, the lens is resolving 90 lp/mm.  What they see instead is a
picture that is mostly out of focus.  When you consider that a D3's
ISO 4000 is roughly comparable to the M8's 640, you can use much
smaller apertures - as in 2-1/2 stops smaller.  That means f/3.5
instead of f/1.4 - which translates directly into increased DOF (and
more "normal" looking pictures).  Alternatively, high ISO also gives
you the opportunity to increase the shutter speed to avoid motion blur
(as would have also been helpful the other night).  Or you can split
the difference.

Dante