Subject: [Leica] Stock Photography
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:23:24 -0700

Mark Rabiner offered in rebuttal:
----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: [Leica] Stock Photography

> I'd thought that this was one of the main reasons Stock was being
> discussed.
> its a baseline for a technical level of photography which is something to
> aim at or consider. If I was shooting what was not considered to be cool by
> most of these people I'd worry . And I am. And I do.<<<<<<<<

Hi Mark,
Yep if the industry has a standard to run with for a required size, one had
better run the course they set or leave town. I quite frankly went nuts when
MASTERFILE set the size of the RAW digital images and required a switch to
NIKON for the quality capture. At the time apparently NIKON were the only
camera able to do so in the industry.

A number of shooters switched, spending thousands of dollars so they could
keep their contract intact and basically a job. Then other manufacturers
caught up and the camera type became a non-issue.

And as happened, some shooters refused to do anything and eventually left
the stable. Those who really work in this stock industry have to supply a
demand for certain size regulations and if one doesn't want to use them
that's fine, their decision. But if one feels just because they can make
super fantastic 13X19 prints of any subject, those prints do not nor will
not meet the standard reproduction size for quality Rights Managed images.

You're quite correct, it's a baseline for technically better re-production
images.

cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Stock Photography)