Subject: [Leica] This one bounced
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 09:44:54 -0700 (PDT)

I wouldn't have gone in there for pearls.

As it was explained to me, the danger was in the seductive clarity of the
water - you could see so very well ahead of you that you didn't realize how
the silt stirred up by your passage completely obscured the tunnel behind
you. Especially as you got into the more narrow and complicated confines of
the system, which consisted of several springs a couple of hundred yards
apart above ground, but linked by a maze of caves beneath. The attempt was
to dive from one spring mouth to the next.

A guy I knew once came upon another diver in there floating still. He
grabbed the arm of the other's wetsuit to have his hand close down around
bone, and a fish squirted out of the cuff. That was his story, at least.