Subject: [Leica] Madrid Puerta de Atocha
From: boklm at mars-attacks.org (nicolas vigier)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:24:42 +0100

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Nice, Lluis.
>
> For those who may not make the connection, the Atocha station is where
> Islamic terrorists killed 191 people on 11 March 2004. It would have been
> much worse if they had got the timing "right" so that the bombs detonated
> inside the station. Is it was, the trains were just outside, so the damage
> was confined to the trains themselves and the people who were in them.
>
> During 2003 and 2004 I passed through Atocha frequently, on my way to or
> from Seville (it was often more convenient to fly to Madrid and take the
> high-speed train down to Seville). I was there precisely one week after
> the
> attacks, and that was my PAW for week 12 in 2004:
>
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt1.jpg
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt2.jpg
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt4.jpg
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt5.jpg
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt6.jpg

Thanks for the story and photos.

I have been to Valladolid (a city in the north of Madrid) for work
recently. And I visited a little Madrid, and have been to Atocha
station, but I didn't know the story of this place (I didn't know where
the attacks had been).

Madrid is a nice city, and I'll probably upload a few pictures from
Madrid later when I have them scanned.

I also took a few pictures in Valladolid, while eating some tapas at
night with colleagues, and going to a bar :
http://n0x.org/pg/valladolid_200910/
Unfortunatly, I didn't take more photos in Valladolid, sometimes I'm too
lazy to take pictures.

Nicolas
--
http://n0x.org/