Subject: [Leica] African animals
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:57:12 +0530

Richard,Luis and Larry,
Thanks for taking a peek.

I was in a Land Rover or Landcruiser, and the drivers we had on our
Photosafari are amongst the best in that part of the world. Secondly,
the animals are so used to vehicles, they don't perceive them as a
threat at all - they will go under the vehicle for shade at times. All
those cubs in my photograph will grow up with no fear, and communicate
that to their offspring as well. This is not an unmitigated blessing,
because it also allows poachers to get very close to their quarry.

Actually it is far more dangerous in Indian parks like Ranthambhore,
where I get very, very close to tigers in an open, unprotected jeep -
I have been so close that I could not focus on them with a 70-200
lens. I have no fear, and as long as I am in a vehicle, and don't do
anything foolish, I feel nothing will happen.

Cheers
Jayanand