Subject: [Leica] Petition for R10
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 10:40:21 -0800

I've read that Nikon is making the camera, I also heard Panasonic.... but
that may or may not be correct.  They are all rumors..   The differeing
question is... do you really believe Leica is building a $2K camera with
lens and 12MP sensor?  Themselves?  In Germany/Portugal/EU?    Has anyone
visiting the Leica factory seen the X1 being manufactured there?    We have
videos and personal tales of the M9 being made in Germany.  But the X1?
NADA.

The S2 uses resources.   My opinion is that the focus should have been on
the Digi-R.  So, my comment that the S2 stole resources from the Digi-R.

Did they start/stop/ever think about a Digi-R?  Maybe, but if they had
followed what I believe is a #1 priority, the Digi-R, the resources were
misdirected to the S2.

As a film camera, they were way behind the 8 ball.... features lacking all
over the place. But optics?  #1.

The market for a digital SLR something that takes R lenses and uses the full
AE, etc, would be quite robust..... the market for another high end MF DIgi
camera, in a field of entrenched manufacturers, with no installed base of
lenses available to set the stage (see the Hasselblad V Line), is
significantly smaller, and in my opinion, may really not exist beyond the
really rich amateur.  And thus my choice for R+D expenditures....

Digi-R.

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

by whom, according to your information, is the Leica X1 then actually
being built?

And where did you get the information that the S2 stole the resources
from some never really corroborated R10 development, with the exception
of a casual remark by Leica at the last Photokina that more or less said
it would pick up on the size of the R7 rather than the R9.

The R-system was very much on the slippery slope even before the digital
revolution and the economic crisis came along - a dead end if ever there
was one - the development of a digital-R should have been started as
soon as the R7 appeared, but, even back then, Leica was in a very
precarious financial situation (as they still are today).

Cheers
Douglas

Replies: Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] Petition for R10)
Message from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] Petition for R10)