Subject: [Leica] M stands for Messsucher
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:17:30 +0100

Morning Mark,

I think that the people at Leica know what they've been putting into
their cameras ever since the M3 came on to the market.

The description Messsucher (before the "Rechtsschreibreform"
(orthographic reform) - spelled Messucher, 3 S'es in a row were not
permitted previously) was coined to differentiate the M cameras from the
earlier Leicas that had separate VF and RF functions.

I reckon they didn't want their cameras to be called "Telemeter"
(technically correct terminology) or "Entfernungsmesser" (military
terminology) cameras, both of which are 100% correct translations of
rangefinder.

 From the brochure:

The M stands for ?Messsucher?, the German term for a combined rangefinder
and viewfinder, and for a unique, individualistic kind of photography.
This system, *generally described* as an
interchangeable-lens* rangefinder *system....*
*

BTW: There's a story about Messerschmitts:

A Polish free airforce pilot was holding a talk for a Womens Institute
in the UK about his flying experiences in WWII:

He said " Zen zese sree Fockes come out of ze cloudz behint me...."

A lady interrupted, " I must explain that Fockes were a type of German
fighter plane"

"No, no", said the Pole, "Zese Fockes voss Messerschmitts...

Cheers
Douglas