Subject: [Leica] OT: Blasphemy Canon EOS 5D Mark II!
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:18:20 -0800

On Nov 2, 2009, at 11:02 AM, wildlightphoto at earthlink.net wrote:

> Greg Lorenzo wrote:
>

>> Is the Canon EOS 5D Mark II my best digital FF option for using
>> with my R
> glass?
>>

> Aside from the metering problem Douglas Sharp mentioned, the EOS 5D
> cameras
> (original and Mk. II) have a long mirror that can cause interference
> problems with some lenses, primarily wides and some of the shorter
> zooms.
>
> The metering problem can be worked around in many circumstances by
> making a
> test exposure, checking the histogram and adjusting as required.  I
> don't
> know about the 5DII, but with the 5D there was sample variation in
> mirror
> box calibration so manual focus wasn't always accurate w/o shimming
> the
> viewscreen.
>
> I'd like to hear why Steve Barbour prefers the D700/leitax
> solution.  I
> have an emotional bias that would make me prefer the D700, but I'd
> like to
> hear a voice of experience.

I enjoy the feel of the Nikon body more, but importantly the Canon
exposes properly when wide open,  although at smaller apertures,
exposure compensation is incorrect...as I recall you overexpose, so
you must shoot wide open with auto metering...
On the Nikon exposure compensation is correct at all apertures...

you also have great high ISO performance with the Nikon D700...though
I have not used that capability much.

Steve