Subject: [Leica] Why the mad rush / toxicity
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:03:12 -0800

hi Mark and thanks,

I am reading some of the current information and warnings...Back when
I worked in a photo darkroom in a very amateurish way, 40 years ago,
there was no particular concern, no warnings, I took no special
precautions, 'cus the general feeling was that risk was low and
seemingly non-existent...

at that time,  the idea that the chemicals either  by contact or by
inhalation were inherently toxic, never dawned, was not at issue, even
though I was a professor at that time on a medical school faculty, and
trained in depth in biochemistry, molecular biology, microbial
genetics...

I have survived the intervening time without any obvious damage, but
my exposures were surely minimal compared to many.

One has to think of the possible analogy with the story of Marie and
Pierre Curie who won Nobel prizes for their work with radioactive
compounds, but who had no idea of the associated serious risks, and
suffered from these...at least severe burns, and Marie's death from
aplastic anemia. (Pierre died prematurely from a fractured skull after
a street acident).

So all this talk about toxicity and precautions is an eye opener for
me, and the concerns are admittedly tainted by the self serving
overreaction of regulatory agencies, as usual "a day late and a dollar
short"...

Steve