Subject: [Leica] Lens Advice
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 22:09:40 -0500 (EST)

Aram Langhans wrote:

>So, maybe I should look at the pre-IF version? Or are there trade-off's for
>this lens, too?

The pre-IF version is an exceptionally sharp lens with excellent color
quality.  Its drawbacks are much slower and stiffer focussing, a longer
minimum focus distance, a tendency toward harsh bokeh, and pricing based on
its scarcity.  It's the second-sharpest 300mm-ish lens I've had the pleasure
to use, even after the TSA did it's thing to the front element, but the
handling has me wishing it had IF along with its exceptional image quality.
The ED-IF is an excellent lens and most people would be delighted with its
performance.  My problem is that I've been spoiled by the 280mm f/4 APO and
the pre-IF 300mm f/4.5 ED.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com