Subject: [Leica] Apache da la Bosque for Birds
From: dave_olson at operamail.com (Dave Olson)
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 20:46:39 +0100

I have noticed a number of members interested in birds. When you think about
it they are a "special" category by themselves as wild creatures. First
they're small. OK most. Second is approachability and third, best time of
day. Here in New Mexico we have three wildlife sanctuaries. The most widely
know is the Bosque Apache. It is located in close proximity to San Antonio
New Mexico. A number of years ago Federal and state wild life agents
approached the farmers who have fields surrounding the huge area.
Their request was simple, grow food stuffs that is eatable by birds. Well it
took some convincing but these farmers began planting food they could
harvest and at the same time allow for plenty left over for the birds. They
are grains and rice. The farmers are proud of their contribution to wildlife
preservation. The Bosque as it is commonly called has become one of the
nation's most well known and visited. The birds include Canadian geese,
egrets, herons, and more than I can list. It is a photographer's paradise.
You will need a long lens as you have to stay in your car are except for
several lookout spots. There is one area in which myself and a number of
others stopped by one field filled with herons. We had to stay on the road
by the birds showed little fear approaching within 20 yards or so. Remember
this is not a zoo with cages and aviaries. It is administered by Federal
Wildlife officers who do patrol to make sure that no one is doing anything
to disturb the birds. There are other forms of wildlife: deer, turkey.
So for those interested this is becoming the time when the birds are flying
in from the far arctic. They stay until their "clocks" say it's time to head
north to breed.
We also have a new sanctuary that just opened along the Rio Grande south of
Mesilla. They have planted a large number of native plants and have given
pertinent information regarding each plant. At this time of the year some
type of ducks; woodland, mallard are in and other will follow as the same
plan for the Bosque in place with local farmers for growing grains and rice.
Here youu park and get out and hike. Again for birds, a good telephoto is a
must. No blinds allowed.

Have fun and enjoy and bring binoculars beside the cameras.
Dave Olson> ckrosebud at hotmail.com