Subject: [Leica] Leica viewfinder magnifier 1.4 on M9
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 01:31:14 -0500

> Thanks Mark.  I've already sent Malena's mother (a colleague from my
> old work and a good friend) an 8x12 inch print on the Ilford paper
> that's designed to look like an air-dried FB paper.  I printed it at a
> friend's place on his Epson 3800 - it was his paper too, which is why
> I can't remember exactly what the paper is called.  The accuracy and
> purity of the pink in her top is stunning - this would have been
> impossible in a C type print and very very difficult with an
> Ilfochrome and the surface wouldn't have looked as nice.  I haven't
> printed Niamh yet but I'm working on a collection of photos of her and
> her family for her parents.
>
> Thanks again for looking.
>
> Marty

That's so nice to hear Marty!

A fine point though is why anyone would want to make an inkjet print which
looked like an air-dried FB paper.
Oh! its because air-dried FB paper is a real photograph and an image made on
100% rag Hahnem?hle which looks like an inkjet and is an inkjet is not?!?!?

I just hope they make darkroom paper which imitates the look of a 100% rag
Hahnem?hle prints I've been making for years because I'm getting real use to
that look and I  prefer it; and if I'm ever in the darkroom again which I
doubt I'd love to maybe have that option. (kidding probably)
If I didn't prefer the look and surface of the images I'm now making I'd be
doing what Mr. Man is doing.
Something else.
Darkroom work.

Maybe like Ken Carney has done: coat my own emulsions and make platinum
contact prints on a nice sunny day on the roof.

Baryta in darkroom paper has a real purpose.
It has no purpose in an inkjet other than a rather thoughtless deception.

Lots of darkroom printing processes have evolved through the years.
But when they come out they don't try to imitate another process which they
are not. As they'd do a lousy job of it. And what's the point? It's bad
vibes.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] Leica viewfinder magnifier 1.4 on M9)
Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Leica viewfinder magnifier 1.4 on M9)