Subject: [Leica] Card vs. disc question
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 17:01:29 -0500

"I've finally accepted the idea that cards are not damaged by even poorly
adjusted third world airport x-ray machines. But how about computer hard
discs?"
While I appreciate the answers I received, most suggested simply carrying
more memory cards. I'll certainly admit that it is a good solution but I
have to carry the laptop computer anyway for notes and e-mail communication
with my publisher. RAW image files use up the capacity of a 2 GB card fairly
quickly. Dumping the file into the Powerbook lets me edit, trash, and store
images that are useful. I'm not casting aspersions on the equipment used in
major city airports in Asia or South America but I have taken planes on Air
India that flew by flapping their wings. Off hour flights from Delhi to
Kashmir/Jammu are an example. (Sorry Jayanard). Since I know that stray
magnetic fields in airport scanners may screw up video tapes and magnetic
cards, I wonder what their effect is on hard disc drives - which after all,
are simply magnetic discs spinning fast. My daughter's TV station has warned
reporters not to put their video tapes through airport scanners. I know I
could simply buy a MacBook Air (used) with a solid state memory but that
seems a pricey solution.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Card vs. disc question)