Subject: [Leica] First Camera
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:04:45 -0500

My first camera was an Instamatic 44, which took barely acceptable pictures.
I remember that the flash cubes often wouldn't work, because I'd either
forgotten to insert batteries, or because the batteries I'd inserted months
before had turned to mush.

My first real camera was my dad's old Rolleiflex Automat (1950), with a huge
bayonet-mount flashbulb attachment.  I remember learning about guide numbers
and blue #25 bulbs.

I first used the flash during a trip to the Central Park Zoo.  After
calculating the distance from the elephant cage to the elephant, I set the
lens, focused, and snapped the picture.  The blue blub exploded
triumphantly.  However, the poor elephant reared on its hind legs, and
sneezed all over me.

Ever since, I've been a devotee of available light shooting.

Jim Shulman
Wynnewood, PA

Replies: Reply from charcot at comcast.net (charcot) ([Leica] First Camera)
Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] First Camera)