Subject: [Leica] M3 - dim r/f patch
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:32:15 -0500

Peter wrote:

I don't know whether it would be best to send it straight to CRR in

England, or to send it back to Poplash to get their repair person to

look at it.  Does anyone have any experience

that would help me decide?  Thanks!

- - - - - -

Peter,

It depends on what the Popflash repair person claimed in the original
assessment of the camera. If he said that it was "perfect" then you have a
good reason to get a reimbursement. If on the other hand, he claimed that it
was "functional" then the description might be accurate. Most M3 users learn
to live with dim rangefinders. The cameras are, after all, over 50 years
old. BUT, if you like the camera and intend to use it, send it to CRR and
have the job done right. Just don't count on a speedy return. It has been my
experience that most repair facilities do not attempt to resilver and
recement Leica rangefinders, preferring instead to replace entire
viewfinder/rangefinder assemblies. Even Leica USA will not resilver dim r/f
units. I think that your only recourse with Popflash is a reduction in the
price.

Larry Z