Subject: [Leica] [IMG] AIRCRAFT - Last flying Vulcan XH558
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:55:33 +0000

My favourite aeroplane.
I remember when I was in the Air Training Corps, we went to RAF
Waddington, where these aircraft were based.  You can't appreciate the
size of these aircraft until you get close.  The bomb bay is absolutely
massive.

There is a book about the attack on the Falklands called 'Vulcan 607',
by Rowland White.  It's a terrific read, describing the build up to the
mission and giving a fascinating insight into jus what was involved in
staging these raids.  One of the biggest challenges was having enough
bombs to do the job!
The pilot who flew the Vulcan on this attack, is I believe the same chap
who now flies this one.  His name is Martin Withers.

Thanks for sharing the pictures Peter.

All the best

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts