Subject: [Leica] FS: Canon 5D, M2, LX 3 other items
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:04:16 -0500

As reported by both DAG and John Van Stelten, it was Konica that was very
aggressive with the loctite on all of the Hexanons.  On my 50mm, I had to
dislodge that myself because both were reticent to try to break the seal.
If you take the lens mount off, you'll see a T-shaped spot of blue or green
loctite in a cutout on the side of what you think is the rear retaining ring
(it's not a retaining ring...).

You don't adjust that lens in any way by taking it apart aside from removing
the lens mount to remove that locking spot.  There are three set screws
under the focusing ring (also loctited from the factory) that control the
position of the whole optical unit/RF coupling and then there is a separate
adjustment for the RF coupling (which you have to do after changing the
optical focus.  The whole RF ring turns to adjust in and out - see the two
notches?  That's not a retaining ring that holds the lens together.  Unless
you have a micrometer for measuring the cam position and know the proper
extension figure, you will probably not succeed in adjusting this lens
yourself (at least properly).  And if you don't re-loctite that RF ring,
there is a risk that it will get rotated out of position and your RF focus
will start to drift over time.

I would not be surprised if you had sent this to Sherry and she had
misunderstood this. It's a clever design, but it's not in the mold of the
modern "grind-a-shim-to-adjust," so it's much easier for a service person to
make the wrong supposition about how it works.

Dante