Subject: [Leica] Scanning problems?help needed!
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:15:57 -0500

At 03:42 PM 11/14/2009, you wrote:
>         1. The Digital ICE feature?as I
> understand it an infrared scan of the surface
> of the slide to detect dust and allow the
> software to eliminate it from the final scan
> image?on both scanners produces a horrible
> artifact at the borders of contrasty features,
> especially bright areas. The artifact is so
> severe that it degrades the appearance of
> susceptible areas of the picture even when the
> whole scan is viewed on screen?it's not
> necessary to magnify it past this; but if I do,
> the effect is so awful that the image would be
> unusable. It may reduce dust, but so can I in
> PS, and I just can't believe that scanner
> manufacturers, or the developer of the
> technology, would regard this as a marketable
> feature, as it intrudes on any image size
> bigger than (maybe) 8 x 10. Has anyone else
> seen this? The same phenomenon occurs with the
> Nikon, on a different computer, but to a lesser
> degree?probably need twice the image size to
> see it, but again, compared to the Nikon scan
> without ICE, it's awesomely degraded. Is anyone familiar with this
> phenomenon?
>?howard

It sounds like you might be trying to use Digital
ICE on B&W or Kodachrome.  You can't use ICE with
either.  It reads the silver content as dirt and
tries to remove it.  Some Kodachromes are
acceptable with ICE but the only way to know is
to try them.  Usually, the ones that you can see
a raised portion on the emulsion side, like a bas
relief, will not scan with ICE.  There are
several other programs that you can use to remove
dust and dirt on KC and B&W but all of them
soften the image to an unacceptable amount.  What
I do is use the Polaroid Dust and Scratches
filter and then back up to before the filter was
applied and use the history brush on only the
dust and scratches.  It takes a bit of time but
is the best alternative I've found (other than
having pristine slides and film to start with!)

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com