Subject: [Leica] M8/9 LCD Screen Protector
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:11:52 +0000 (UTC)

Ric -

1. I don't know - I haven't had to. Unlike the Invisible Shield/Zagg
protectors, which contrary to claims DO fairly easily "scratch," I haven't
gotten a scratch or similar mark on the GGS protectors I've installed.

2. They're supposed to remove pretty easily with something like dental floss
to cut the glue bond (which is only at the edge*). Other people have
reported that removal is easier if they're heated, which would be consistent
with my experience removing other adhesive products, but I'd be careful
about overheating things...I'd keep one hand in the path of the heat gun or
hair dryer and quit when my hand got uncomfortable. Not much heat is needed,
usually.

* Note: I have read of Zagg protectors pulling the outside layer of LCD
displays off. The Zagg film is fully coated with adhesive and I did notice
some flexing when I removed the ones I had on my cameras.

3. If they remove easily on purpose, wouldn't they be subject to detaching
easily even when not wanted? (Not trying to be a smart at ss, just a
question based on reading about one brand of protector that seems to
continuously fall off.)

John