Subject: [Leica] Forscher's lights
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:07:10 -0500

> Ah, but in those days I was just as much a printmaker: photo-intaglio,
> silkscreen, hand photo-litho.
>
> One of my standard workflows back then was to shoot Tri-x (with my first M,
> and the DR I still have) and develop it in Rodinal for a nice chunky grain,
> then make large enlargements on Kodak ortholith using a D-III turned on its
> base to project to the floor. The ortholiths were still-developed in Kodak
> Fine Line developer to get a positive random dot image. The positve was
> then
> burned into an acid resistent photosensitive emulsion (Kodak Photo Resist,
> KPR, very toxic) coated on a zinc etching plate - this was an inter-neg.
> The
> image was then etched in to the plate using your basic intaglio acid
> immersion
> techniques.
>
> Compositing was a matter of slicing various ortho sheets together, or
> layering
> and selectively coating and etching the plate. Everything that Photoshop
> does
> now in that line I learned to do by hand with an x-acto knife, airbrush,
> and
> rubylith.

Those were fun days.
Now we play in Photoshop and just output to any size sheet film or print we
want with a third party lab we can ftp the file to over the internet. And
separations of various kinds as well.
Then silkscreen or gum print or platinum print or make etching plate to our
hearts content.
In most cases all we need is a sunny day I'll skip the bank of florescent
lights.

Get sunburnt doing darkroom work.

Mark William Rabiner