Subject: [Leica] Has someone actually BOUGHT a Panasonic GF1?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:01:00 -0800

At 9:02 AM -0800 11/30/09, Adam Bridge wrote:
>How are you liking it? I've never worked with Mr. Yao but your
>recommendation is valuable both to reliability and my interest in the
>camera. I'm looking for a good,small, travel camera. I like the idea
>of mounting my M lenses on it.
>
>Adam

While mounting M lenses on the m4/3 cameras is easy and with the
lates firmware focussing has also become very direct, there are
limitations; lenses that give wider angles of view on the m4/3
cameras are rare due to the 2x sensor size factor, and also lenses
wider than 35mm don't give optimal results as the corners start
'smearing'.

I have the camera with the 20/1.7, and use a small optical finder in
the hot shoe. This way it works easily and quickly and is quite
discreet. It is clumsier with the zooms as you have to use the rear
LCD for composing and therefore hold it out in front of you, or use
the detachable electronic viewfinder which is not anywhere near as
good as the one on the G1, and also makes the camera a lot bulkier.
If you don't have a m4/3 camera at present, I would suggest getting a
G1 at first. It's really a good package and will allow you to try
your M glass. It's a much more versatile camera and in practice is
not really much larger.

I got the G1 to replace my cropped sensor DSLR which it does very
well but I'm not using it as much with M glass as I thought I would.
The main other lenses I attach to the m4/3 bodies are macro lenses
like the 200/4 micro Nikkor, the 65 Elmar and the Photars. For
general photography I usually use the Panasonic lenses which are
excellent.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design