Subject: [Leica] the ubiquity of the iLeica & the future of photography
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:01:28 -0500

I've lately found myself turning to the 1/4 inch camera built into my iPhone
more and more. Not just because of its accessibility but also because of the
built in sharing -- an immediacy accelerated even from that which we're
growing accustomed to in digital. These days we sit back after shoots and
review with models or family members minutes after the photo was taken, but
I'm finding with the phone I'm also posting them within minutes of taking
them. Often I'll finish up a "real" shoot with a few iPhone shots. Quality?
There's very little, but there's something intangible that comes back as an
advantage. Community maybe, the engine of one's peers, and the motivation
that they're doing things and you can't continue sitting out the game.

Here's a photo from the weekend  -- I think it came out particularly well:

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2009/tnx-iphone1.jpg

I suspect that as technology improves regular cameras will catch up with
their cellular counterparts and we'll be uploading directly from our M10's
and the LUG, or whatever incarnation of camera clubs there are, will
incorporate more real-time sharing, publication, and review. I'm not sure
that it's superior to the old model, but I suspect it's inevitable.

Kyle

(I should also mention that thanks to John Lee of the NYLUG my iPhone now
has much street cred: http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2009/leica-iphone.jpg)

Replies: Reply from rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron) ([Leica] the ubiquity of the iLeica & the future of photography)
Reply from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] the ubiquity of the iLeica & the future of photography)