Subject: [Leica] IMGs: portraits of power
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:33:00 -0600

I too appreciate stretching and testing the visual definition of
"portrait;"
as well as the visual definitions of any of the other genres of
photography.

Some of our most respected "portrait" photographers like Karsch and
Hurell visually idealized their subjects bathing them in perfect
light with flattering poses. Others, like Avedon, rendered them hyper-
real yet on a hyper-neutral, out-of-context background. Arnold Newman
perfected the posed, environmental portrait along with some wonderful
experimental techniques.

Those who came before us left a legacy to be studied, honored and
respected;
yet not necessarily to be imitated (except perhaps as a learning tool).

We're always left with the question,
"what do I have to say with my camera?"
about any particular subject or within a particular genre.

I really appreciated Philippe A. pointing us, appropriately, to the
page of portrait "caricatures."

Someone will always come along and use the
wrong lens,
or
wrong light,
or
wrong film,
or
wrong sensor,
or
wrong pose
and show us that s/he
has something valid and beautiful to say visually.

While others will emulate the masters
and never achieve the masterpiece
because the master's voice
is not the imitator's voice.