Subject: [Leica] The Pana 20mm f1.7 on the GF 1
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 06:44:52 +1000

Howard its an very effective environmental portrait. Bonus points for
setting it up well for yourself too!
I do see one fundamental characteristic of the innovative and interesting
four thirds systems that bothers me though. That is of course that the crop
factor forces the use of twice as  wide lenses as traditional 24x36. By that
I mean cropping the centre out of a 20mm shot on a 24x36 camera frame in
this case. Not unique to 4/3 of course and much more marked with typical
tiny P&S sensors as far as hyper DoF too.

But I look at that neat little prime lens and think of it being faster and
much more compact than the typical zoom. I assume it ought to be optically
simpler and hence better corrected/sharper too? Those may all be due to my M
frame of reference perhaps which is not main stream.

In this instance I think it works really well but Auntie Phylis et al may
not be so happy in the same seat, I guess.
Maybe apples and oranges? Any thoughts out there?