Subject: [Leica] The Pana 20mm f1.7 on the GF 1
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 18:31:48 -0500

> I guess it is treading a thin line, but I usually think of a "crop factor"
> when using legacy lenses on a small sensor system.  For instance, when
> using my 21/3.4 SA (with its image circle designed for 35mm) on a m4/3
> system, I think "crop factor of 2."  When using a lens designed for the
> 4/3 or m4/3 system and the 4/3 image circle, I don't think of it as
> "cropped."
>
> I may be alone on this one...
>
> Matt

There is a reality that people think in 35mm terms.
Look at the barrel of the lens of the typical point and shoot camera,
They're not calling it a 7mm lens.
They're calling it a 50mm lens.
Right on the outside of the barrel.
As its a normal lens.
And no they don't want you to know what the crop factor is.
4/3s format has an easily to  deal with and remember crop factor of 2.
Twice.
And I had the 2 times tables down at a very early age.
A 100 is a 200.
A 50 is a 100.
A 25 is a 50.

We now have 1.5 crop factor cameras which are compacts.
The Leica X1.

Soon will have 1.0 crop factor compacts.
Digital Rollei 35's, or digital Leica screw mounts even.
Then the reason why you're shooting miniature format digital will be harder
to ignore. As there won't be any.

Just keep in mind how many half frame and Minox format cameras sold in the
1980's and 1990's at the end of the film era.
Pretty closed to none.

Mark William Rabiner