Subject: [Leica] Leafscan
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 10:14:56 -0500

Jim,

Based on you informative reply, it appears that we see things  much the
same way. I only have a Leaf 35. I wish that I had the larger unit. I
use an Expression 1680 to Scan medium and large format and I also have a
Minolta 5400.

The Leaf seems to scan KR slides better than anything else I've tried. I
can't explain it other than to say the results just look uniquely
"Kodachrome". You can pass pixels through alogrithms all day long using
the best imaging software and custom actions, and you still can't get
the same look from a modern digital camera. At least I can't though I've
tried. Maybe there's something to the slow scan. :-) I have boxes of old
KR slides that I still haven't scanned so I've kept the Leaf.

I almost threw out the Leaf a few years back. I started to take it apart
for the heck of it. It was dusty inside. I cleaned it up -- the RGB and
ND filters with special care -- and tried it again. It was like a new
scanner. Still slow, though. Dust can be a real villan.

If it wasn't for the time element (and the fact that KR is all but dead)
I think I'd only shoot KR with Leica and scan with a Leaf. But I've been
seduced by the ease and super resolving capabilities of modern equipment
and in some ways have lost sight of my real love of photography. I guess
that's progress.

I'm sure you've seen these.
http://www.shorpy.com/4x5-large-format-kodachromes

Thanks for your reply.