Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 43, Issue 189
From: bs.pearce at cox.net (Sue Pearce)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:38:01 -0600

> Exactly right. Their specialty has been disrupting funeral services for
> soldiers killed in action.  A biker group Patriot Guard inserts itself
> between the bereaved  family  and this group of inbred nut jobs.

I hate for my first post to this August group be avouta  total nut, but here
goes. Fred Phelps lives in Topeka, about two and a half hours from where I
live in Wichita. He's been around a long time. He started out as a lawyer
until his ticket was pulled, and he became a "full time" Baptist minister at
the Westboro Baptist Church, which ironically is composed almost entirely of
his family members. Several of his daughters are now lawyers, and ply their
trade in support of his cockamamie activities. The family and church
supports itself by suing cities and states who try to stop his efforts, most
all of whom lose and pay him to go away.

The patriot guard started in Mulvane Kansas, about a half hour from Wichita,
a VERY small town, and they don't take a stand on his statements, only to
keep him away from soldier's funerals. Our state may have its share of nut
jobs, but we generally don't support his beliefs.

He has a son that lives elsewhere, and has made slightly public his lack of
belief in his family's crazy ideas. There have been allegations of child
sexual abuse and spousal and familial abuse, but none substantiated. Given
his thoughts on sexuality, we all think there are skeletons in his closet.

Bill Pearce