Subject: [Leica] So I was just wondering
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:45:32 -0800

Subject: Re: [Leica] So I was just wondering

Bob Adler wrote:
>Now I see the guy is pointing and interacting with an African American
woman, which makes the shot!<<<

Ah!  I didn't see that at first.<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Sonny,
The mystery is solved! :-) I bet nearly everybody missed her! :-) But
everything else get's in the way and it's a woneder you even picked her up
on the screen. But then that's why it's always so important not to edit
quickly and delete to quickly.

We've always used a "3 time look over" in editing.

1st cut: the without question garbage goes... you know it's out no doubt --
out of focus, blured etc.

2nd cut: Closer tighter look at the images and those that just leave you
cold go into an "OUT box"

3rd cut: Now it's taking in every single little thing possible that is
wrong! Or potentially wrong. any thing in here that doesn't make it goes
into the OUT BOX and maybe filed for later of collection material.

But I sure didn't look at this photo three times as in editing. But the two
in the middle were so strong I assumed it was a play on words and these two
"soldiers." :-)

Once you see her then she becomes such a strong point you do almost
automatically see her.
Actually this is a very interesting image for teaching photo students on the
value of editing very carefully!

cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] So I was just wondering)