Subject: [Leica] D-23 developer
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:24:14 -0500

> Mark writes:
> The result will be D23
> Breakfast of champions.
> A favorite of Minor White.
> Mix it up with spoons leave your scale at home.
>
> REPLY
> Right on Mark. I used gallons of the stuff a half century ago before
> Microdol and other fine grain developers were widely available. It is
> simple
> to mix and is a low contrast, compensating, fine grain developer. Great to
> use if you don't need to shoot under available light. It doesn't keep for
> more than a few days. You have to mix it no more than a day or so before
> using it.
> Probably tastes good with vodka.
>
> Larry Z

The formula was 7.5 Metol to 100 sulfite but you'd only do that maybe for
sheet film. In a tray.  At least 1:1 for roll film if not more.

I tweaked my sulfite and Metol separately.
I used around 3 grams of Metol and 35 of sulfite
For an early version of Rabinol.
Later on I added a tab of Borax. For brighter whites.

But the whole point  is to use spoons not a scale.
Its virtually instant if you can mix it up at temperature.
Which supposedly you couldn't do.
But I'd do it anyway.
For years.

So the rule that "Metol does not dissolve below 90 degrees" I find humorous
as I have tons of rolls of film, contact sheets and prints to prove in
practice that it dissolves at 70. Most of it at any rate.

Mark William Rabiner