Subject: [Leica] OT retina question
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:14:19 +0000

Engineering expediency and history! Making a spherical wet plate would not
have been easy, nor would spherical section film! Having the image in a
plane makes the optics complex and expensive, but was necessary.
I guess a spherical digital sensor is feasible, but then we would need all
new lenses :-(
I am sure I have seen a panoramic camera with a cylindrical film path and
pivoting lens. Henning probably has used it/got one!
cheers,
Frank