Subject: [Leica] NYTimes.com: The Do-It-Yourself Economy
From: al.crouch at earthlink.net (Al Crouch)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:08:15 -0600

Strange to me that we all have horror stories of ink lines with ruling pens
on vellum.  Mine was to make a large drawing of seating locations at the
high-school stadium, a grid of rows and seat positions showing every seat
as a small (1/8") square.  There was absolutely no way I was going to rule
all those lines without some smearing and uneven spacing.  I got so
disgusted and frustrated, I just turned it in like it was, which was not
pretty.   I think they used it anyway.   Or got someone else to do it and
did not tell me.   Yes, a Rapidograph would have been nice, but those came
later and had their own issues.

:Al

frustration for the day and did sound effects and ran the board at the
school's FM station, WNYE.  It styled itself as the "High School of the
Air."  I took part in a whole slew of radio shows dramatizing various
moments in American History.

> Regards,
>
> Dick
>

> On Dec 15, 2009, at 4:41 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>

> >> Jeez, I was so glad to see the end of them.  My high school drafting
class
> >> required we use them to ink on vellum.  Getting a clean line with no
breaks or
> >> smudges was virtually impossible.  The number of drawings I ruined as I
> >> attempted to get the last few lines is place is uncountable.  That
Senior
> >> drfating class was a whole year of frustration.  Arghhh!
> >>
> >> I would have sold my soul to the devil to get my hands on a
Rapidograph.

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Dick
> >

> > To keep up with the mechanical and architectural drawing programs at New
> > Trier high school meant you needed to stay after school and hour and a
half
> > every day you were there. It meant when you got home from high school
every
> > day it was dark just in time for dinner. It was a built in
extracurricular
> > activity like going out for wrestling.  And you couldn't do both.
> > It was the 60's I learned with drawing pens I got pretty good at it.
Even my