Subject: [Leica] I wish the LUG was a harsher place. (Long Ramble)
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:59:11 -0500

I completely agree with Neil's comment below.  I realize that having
everyone comment fully on every picture is not possible, but the more we do
of this, the more valuable our time on the LUG will be.

I've always greatly appreciated the time people have taken to seriously
address issues with my photos and throughly enjoyed the interchange of
ideas.  Philippe Armard and Douglas Sharp weighing in on a couple of my
recent photo merges* are examples of the LUG at its best.

Regards,

Dick

*These two.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/England_2009/sm_-aldebaugh_merge.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/England_2009/sm_orford_house_and+_car.jpg.html

BTW, Philippe, in the latter one, I fixed the wire by cloning the upper
loose end into the tree, then cloning leaves over the lower loose end to
make it look like the wire went behind the tree.

On Dec 16, 2009, at 4:48 AM, Neil Beddoe wrote:

(snip)

> I've learned a lot from the negative criticism my pictures receive and
> almost nothing from the praise (although I've got an ego like everyone
> else and all praise is welcome).  I think the LUG can be a bit too gentle
> on posters some times, perhaps with the idea that any photographic effort
> should be encouraged.  I'd love to see much more questioning of posters
> about why they think their picture works and much more honesty if stuff is
> just no good.  I've noticed that bad photographs tend to get ignored
> rather than actively criticised while good ones get loads of responses.
> This is a shame, really good pictures aren't the ones that need criticism
> although I can understand that this is quite a friendly place and we want
> to be nice to each other.

(snip)