Subject: [Leica] Levels of critique
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:23:11 -0600

On Dec 18, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Tina Manley wrote:

> I look at Doug's photos and admire the beautiful animals and birds
> and the fantastic technique that Doug uses to capture them
> perfectly.  Since I could never do that myself, I just tend to
> admire what Doug has done.

As do I admire and respect Doug's work, his discipline, his years of
study and practice.
I lack all the Dougness that makes his very strong work his own;
as well as all the Tinaness that makes your work your own.

> I see what you mean about more poetic interpretations and would
> love to see Doug work with that, but I'll probably still admire his
> calendar perfect shots and when I comment, it will probably just
> be, "Beautiful!"

Absolutely!
He or you or any other individual photographer may have no desire to
move in the direction of any particular opinions expressed.
It's simply another level of discussion; sharing thoughts in the hope
of a deeper understanding of any particular work; including our own.
Looking at and thinking critically about photography and art, the
history, the genres, the techniques provides me with inspiration for
my own work.
Listening carefully to what Doug (and others) has to say about
intentions, techniques to achieve those intentions and seeing the
results has been beneficial to me on levels beyond "wildlife
photography;" they also apply to my own interest in "tamelife
photography."

> I tend when I click on LUG photos to either think, "That's great!"
> "I really like that one" or "Why in the world did he/she take that
> photo?"

Same here. Believe me I do not "think deeply" about each and every
LUG IMG post. Yet, in the context of a request for "harsher" comments
(which I read as a request for "more thoughtful comments") my
immediate reaction is, "Okay. Why do I think: 'that's great!' 'that's
awfully mundane, why did you post it.'?"

And over the years I've certainly developed deeper thoughts about a
lot of LUGger's work (those who post consistently). Though I've not
attempted to articulate those thoughts until now - with Doug's
invitation to do so - and in the context of the other "harsher" thread.

> I would love to be able to be more articulate.  Can anybody suggest
> any books on critiquing photos?  I've read John Szarkowsky's
> Mirrors and Windows and it's one of the few books of criticisms
> that I really like.

I'm not sure you could find a book on "critiquing photos."
I think it's simply a matter of taking the time to look critically
and then attempt to express your thoughts about what you see.

When I taught drawing, visual design, and color theory
I made critical looking and critical thinking a major part of the
courses.

For the creator:
Why did you create this? (content and context)
How did you create this? (techniques)
Why those tools and materials?
Did you achieve your intentions?
If you did not achieve your goals; why not?
What do you need to change, improve, eliminate, add, subtract?
etc.

For the viewer:
What do you see?
Describe the thoughts and feelings the work stirs up in you?
Do those thoughts and feelings depend on design principals; tools &
materials: or techniques?
etc.

It generally took students the entire semester
to begin to open their hearts and minds to the concepts of critical
looking,
thinking and expression about their own and their peer's work.

And the last day of class, when they presented their final project,
and were required to articulate answers to those types of questions
was always a blast
because a third of their semester grade
depended on their ability to articulate their thoughts
with the language of visual design, color and drawing.

Again - I'm not, in any way, lobbying for this to occur on the LUG.
I love the LUG just fine as is.
First impressions are extremely valuable.
It's just one of those "be careful what you wish for" things.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com