Subject: [Leica] help! stuck filter!
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (rsphoto's email)
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:58:47 -0800

Mark:

You're right about that, Mark, but in the case of the Ultra-thin
Heliopan + the equally Ultra-thin rotating filter rim, ya got no
traction.  Very frustrating.

I'm gonna give the Metaphysical/Suddenly It Just Started Turning
method some time before I head for Lourdes.

- or take it to the local Pro repair shop.  But that is SUCH a cop out.

Bob

On Dec 20, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Now that makes perfect sense.  I have the same Heliopan thin
> polarizer, but
> on a 35-70.  At times it is bound like it is welded to the lens.  I
> try and
> try and it does not budge.  Then, with a very slight effort it comes
> of
> easily.  It is so thin and so close to the lens my filter wrench
> does not
> even want to grab it.  And working from the front, it just rotates
> like any
> polarizer is suppose to.  So, I would just work at it slowly with mild
> pressure and maybe yours will behave like mine and come loose.  I
> know brass
> is not suppose to bind, so the distortion hypothesis makes perfect
> sense.  I
> just always forget and grip harder and twist harder until I remember
> that a
> gentle touch often (not always) works best.
>
> Aram

It said in the Popular photography gadgets and gizmos page 1964
September to
put a rubber band around the filter then take it off. It just comes
right
off I tried it once early 1972 I think it was January.

But I find just putting on a rubber glove easier.

Mark William Rabiner