Subject: [Leica] Captions
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:33:16 -0800

At the risk of sounding simplistic, I learned the importance of captions as
a photojournalist in the Marines.

Sometimes we simply identified who's who in the shot (pretty obvious reason).

Sometimes the location was key in defining the event.  Palm trees?
Mountains?  A lake?  A cliff?  Where is that?  Why is that man/woman/child
hiding their face.  Are they laughing or crying?

Sometimes the telling visual data had to be pointed out to the viewer
because that was the only possible shot due to circumstances of the moment
and the reader could use a little help (i.e., "...oh, now I can see it!).

When I caption a landscape shot, I like to include a comment about history,
topography, the weather that day, or something I didn't see in the
viewfinder but the R 70-180 revealed clearly in the enlarged print.  Leica
teles continue to amaze me after the fact.

I totally agree that sometimes a print speaks for itself, but not always.

The image may attract immediate interest, but the viewer may want to know
more, not speak your native language, or just need time to contemplate the
image and may need a little jump start to see a little deeper.

Just one shooter's thoughts on captions.

Bob

Bob Shaw
rsphotoimages at comcast.net