Subject: [Leica] How to avoid flash problems...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:35:04 -0500

> This thread brings several things to what is left of my mind:
>
> --I have tried all kinds of automation with flash....various cameras,
> various flashes....and now believe 'automated flash' falls into the
> same category as 'military intelligence'.
>
> --I recently read somewhere the photographic maxim that amateurs
> obsess over gear, professionals obsess over money and masters obsess
> over light.
>
> --Gene Smith is reputed to have said If it is light, and it is
> available, it is available light.
>
> Happy New Year to All.
>
> --Bob

Eugene Smith was practically the father of multiple bounce flash.
He used it extensively. As did the standard Life, Look and Magnum
photographers.
Some greats like our Dr. Ted did not - but most did.

http://www.novelguide.com/a/discover/ewb_19/ewb_19_07461.html

" He worked with miniature cameras, creating an innovative flash technique
that allowed him to produce indoor photographs that had the appearance of
natural or lamp light. Smith accepted a position as a staff photographer
with Life and worked there from 1939 to 1941."

His classic picture of the mother in child in Minamata often used as a
classic example of the wonders of natural available light.
It was done with multiple bounce flash.

Sorry but you stepped right into it.

Available light is the light which is available.
Like the flash hanging off your belt in a leather case.

Mark William Rabiner