Subject: [Leica] Wide angle
From: filippiniaia at hotmail.com (Matthew B. Filippini)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:36:44 -0600

Hi Larry-

I have not read "The Hidden Dimension."  While I agree with the
stranger/friend/lover distance concept you describe, I disagree regarding
the analogy with wide angle lenses.

The reason we perceive the distortion of very wide angle lenses, and why
they can be thought of as "depict(ing) a travesty of life" is that our
eyes do NOT have the "considerable visual distortion" of very wide angle
lenses at the "intimate distance" range.

Try it. Pick something up; move it close: no distortion for which your
brain does not compensate (mine anyhow).

Matt