Subject: [Leica] IMG: Afghanistan followup
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 12:43:26 -0500

Nathan,

Yes it is bleak but much of the same could be said for the whole region or
many dry places on this planet. Hughes picture accurately reflects that
reality.

People have lived, and, yes, eked out a living for far longer than any
recorded civilization. Most of them are very poor and want a better life for
themselves and their children. Many live a dogmatic existence because that
is how they and all the generations before them was raised. They are no
different than you and I in many ways. The difference is about 2 generations
of education.

Our guide from my Karakoram Highway cycling trip in 1998 told me of his
childhood from before the construction of the KKH. He spoke of poverty as a
child, of extreme isolation in the winter time, of eating dried apricots in
every form (soup, stew, dried, shredded,...) for months on end when the
villages were cut off from the world. He spoke of his hope for his children.
He has a Bachelor in Economics but chose to work as a guide because the pay
was better and he got the chance to spend his life outdoors amongst some of
the greatest scenery in the world instead of being stuck in a office. His
wife was a doctor. They were Ismaili, more liberal than most. I lost track
of him several years ago.

Our innkeeper in the tourist town of Karimabad (a spectacular setting if
there ever was one) asked how to bootstrap his region, the northern end of
Pakistan, next door to Afghanistan. All I could offer then as advice was to
educate his people. It's the same advice I would offer today if they had any
security. They are just too far from transportation hubs.

The desolate landscape makes me think of the moon when I was cycling through
it but then the road would go around a corner and all the sudden there would
be a lovely patch of intense green whenever there is some flat area which
can be irrigated and cultivated. A village or town would form and prosper.

My comment to my wife back in 2002 was that it will be a multi-generational
effort to bring this strife torn region into the modern world. Ted et al has
expressed the same opinion. Unfortunately, our cynical leaders are incapable
of, or unwilling to express this reality because they have to deal with
their political reality, the next election.

I too admire Hugh for trying.

My main point is really that we should not give up hope but we should also
deal with the reality that this is a long road which I fear western
democracies are not willing to walk to the end. The British tried and
failed. The Russians did no better.

Democracy in this part of the world will look more like totalitarianism for
50 years (feudalism, tribalism) than our version of democracy but that too
will pass if there is the will.

To bring this message to back on topic, I took my M4P when I went and the
wide angles sure came in handy. The scenery is awe inspiring and the people
are friendly. If you ever get a chance to visit, don't leave your Leica
behind.

Regards,
Spencer

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] IMG: Afghanistan followup)