Subject: [Leica] old IMGS: Northern Pakistan
From: oliverbryk at comcast.net (Oliver Bryk)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 08:45:53 -0800

Jim wrote:
"Wonderful job, Oliver.  Do you ever wonder what some of those smiling
children may be facing now?"

and  Jayanand wrote:
"They would probably be terrorists infiltrating Afghanistan or India,
or blowing up something or the other in Peshawar, if they are still
alive, that is. Poverty and illiteracy is a deadly combination.
Beautiful photographs, though!"

Thank you, Jim and Jayanand, for looking and your comments. I have indeed
wondered from time to time about how the Hunzakuts have fared in these
troubled times.  Hunza is a considerable distance from the Northwest
Frontier areas. I don't know whether they might have been drawn into the
Kashmir conflict.
As I recall, a substantial proportion of the Hunzakuts are Ismaili,
followers of the Aga Khan; I understand that Ismailism is a moderate form of
Shiism. I remember that the women - quite a few of them beautiful - were
barely veiled and did not avoid contact with male foreigners.
Oliver