Subject: [Leica] [OT] Scanning Kodachrome help
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:26:23 -0500

On Jan 12, 2010, at 18:24, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> The dynamic range in snow shots are nothing to sneeze at.
> Snow shots are hard. Plenty of people just cant pull them off.

My example is shaded snow on a cloudy day so the dynamic range should be
manageable. Or so I thought.

> Scanning is not something that you're always going  to get right the first
> time.  Unless you're doing it every day for a year and even then. Its in a
> sense the new darkroom work
> This idea of if your first scan does not come out right then go out and by
> some other software if find hysterically funny.

I already have the 2 different scanning S/W so the incremental cost to me
was $0. My time is precious to me so if having another tool makes my life
easier, why not? It's not as if it was $1000 for each.

> We all have more money than time don't we?

Not a fair comparison. Do you have more than one lens for your enlarger? Do
you have more than one lens for your camera? Do you own more than one camera
body?

> No you just go back and try it again with the same software.
> Take it off the default. Take it off auto.
> Slide a few of the sliders.

Yes. I did but most S/W has a lot of sliders and buttons. Silverfast has
more control points than Vuescan which was why I was using Vuescan in my
earlier attempts.

Regards,
Spencer