Subject: [Leica] Russian Pres and S2
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:37:54 +0100

Some people seem to think that the former Soviet Union is a poor and
backward nation - far from it, the number of the rich, million- and
billionaires is growing fast. Luxury and up-market products are really
big busines there too - Rolex, Chanel, all the big fashion houses,
European luxury mail order catalogues, Audi, Mercedes and many others.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Putin hasn't got a Leica or two tucked
away somewhere too.

And I'm glad to see that Leica have begun to recognise big potential
markets and put the S2 in the hands of people who are better known than
most photographers. (Russia, China and the Gulf States/Emirates are top
of the list).

Public awareness is not generated by showing people like Salgado with a
Leica - 99% of the world would say ?Who dat??

I think we'll soon be seeing more Leicas in the public eye.

BTW: Seal (the singer - and a good one too) has been closely involved
with Leica for several years and flies the flag for them at almost every
opportunity. He's a damn good photographer, has quite a Leica collection
and is what the Germans call a "Sympathietr?ger" (role model,
ambassador, figurehead, popular figure - none of which are quite right,
but some words just refuse to be translated).

Cheers
Douglas