Subject: [Leica] A brief personal review of the Nokton 50mm f1.1 and a couple of pictures
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:40:48 +0000

Josef said...
<quote>
Is there such a thing as "too critical?"  The new tools let us all raise
our game a little.
</quote>

I think so - the ability to pixel peep is both a blessing and a curse IMHO.

I'm just in the process of printing off the last dozen or so prints that
made up my 2009 PAW.  Several of them were originally 'rejects' because
they didn't appear sharp enough or had other perceived "flaws".  I was
being overly critical -  I think it's a mindset that is engendered by
using Leica products - the hype about optical perfection seeps into your
subconscious and can have a detrimental effect if like me, you can
become a bit obsessive.

Now I've processed them and printed them, shots that would have
otherwise gone in the bit-bucket are making me go "wow! - why did I
reject that?"  The technical was getting in the way of the aesthetic and
to be honest, spoiling my enjoyment of photography.  If I'm going to
make one resolution this year (if it's not too late), it is not to be
too hard on myself and to try and recognise when things are 'good
enough' and when the law of diminishing returns is about to be broken
(again).

Damn...I think I've just talked myself out of an M9 :-)

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK

Homepage               http://www.monomagic.co.uk